4/16/2012

HBM's Top 10 Favorite DS Games

Hey guys. Sorry it took me so long to get another post up, but I've been sick (something with my lungs, IDK). But since the 3DS has been out for over a year now (how time flies), the DS must be nearing it's end. Since that's coming, I'm going to honor the DS by giving a list of my 10 favorite games on it. No real guidelines here, they just had to have been DS games released in stores (so, sadly, no Photo Dojo, even though I love that game and hope they make a 3DS sequel). Let's get this show on the road!

#10: Ace Attorney (The Whole Series)


I don't care if this is kind of cheating, it's impossible to label each Ace Attorney individually, so I put them into one entry. The sense of humor, characters, drama, and gameplay are all astounding, and it seems to be one of the only Crapcom series' as of late where they don't have their heads up their asses when making them. I just love these games. Any objections?

#9: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies


I'll admit that I'm not very far in this game. I've only just gotten the train or whatever running again. But as far as I am, I'm enjoying this. Sure, there's not much plot, and that fairy bitch is annoying, but the customization and battle system are simply astounding to me! I always love when games let you create and customize characters, and this is no exception.

#8: Kirby Super Star Ultra


I think this may be the 3rd best Kirby game I've ever played (behind Amazing Mirror and Return to Dream Land). BEing able to play entire short, simple stories in less than in hour on one tiny cartridge is pretty cool. Especially when one of those stories lets you play as FUCKING METAKNIGHT THROUGH THE ORIGINAL 6 MINIGAMES. That's hardcore.


#7: Pokemon Generations 4 and 5 Main Games

My personal favorite
Honestly, there's not much to say. It's Pokemon, the series that got me into video games in the first place, and two of the games are remakes of my first Pokemon games.* How could I not enjoy them?!?! Now, let's just see if Black 2 and White 2 can get me hyped for Generation 6. EDIT: Black 2/White 2 was good enough to bump Pokemon up an entire space. Yup.

#6: Chrono Trigger




I'll admit, I've never played the original SNES version (mostly because I don't have an SNES), but when I finally got this game this January, I knew what to expect due to the internet collectively saying it was the best SNES RPG ever. I can see why they would say this. An actually somewhat coherent plot, character development happening at a nice steady pace for each character that gets it, a great battle system, and the art style of Akira Toriyama, author of the Dragon Ball series! That all makes for one epic adventure!


#5: Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story


The 3rd, and hopefully not final**, installment of the Mario and Luigi RPG series, it keeps in tradition with it's self aware humor, great battle system, and perfect amount of challenge and difficulty, with the standard Mario plot of trying to get back the Princess, interplayed with Bowser's plot of getting back his castle, makes for a huge, great game.

#4: Super Mario 64 DS


This was the first DS game I ever bought, and even now, it still holds up extremely well! It takes everything I loved about the original Mario 64 and amplifies it! The graphics are better, there's more stars and some minigames, and multiple characters to choose from! Sure, the camera's still shit, and the controls are slightly frustrating, but this is still one of the must-have DS games.

#3: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days


This is the game that finally gave the backstory of Roxas, Sora's Nobody from Kingdom Hearts 2. For the most part, I don't think it disappoints. Other than the flimsy explanation for why nobody mentions Xion, certain stupid lines, occasionally unfair difficulty, and certain control issues, I believe this is a good way to show how Roxas got to where he was in the prologue to KH2. I especially like the fact that you can replay missions in Multiplayer mode, or by yourself, just for extra EXP and shit.

#2: Bleach: The 3rd Phantom


This is probably the best Bleach game yet. I wouldn't really know due to the fact that I don't live in Japan and can't import games right now, but I digress. This game doesn't really fit in with the continuity of the series at all, even though the story was written by Tite Kubo himself. It features characters up to the early Arrancar Arc, but the story stars completely original characters. This is a great what-if story, though it is disappointing that instead of a New Game Plus where we unlock the characters we couldn't use (permanently or otherwise), we get what is pretty much a Mission Mode with 30 missions.

#1: The World Ends With You


I've already said why this is pretty much the best DS game ever, but let's give a quick list of reasons: Kick-Ass battle system, aesthetically pleasing art style, interesting characters, original and exciting plot, and an extremely addictive mini-game (Par for the course in all Square games). The ironic thing is, I only bought this game because I wanted to learn about the characters who would be appearing in KH3D before it came out!

So, those are my Top 10 DS Games. I believe that should be a proper send-off to a great game system, other than Pokemon Black 2/White 2. Join me when the Wii U comes out for my Top 10 Wii Games.

HBM, Signing Out!
---
* Speaking of, Generation 2 will always be best in my book. Generation 5 comes in close second, but the 2nd generation will always be how I was introduced to Pokemon.

** Starting February 2013, that part was true. Thank you, Nintendo, for Mario and Luigi: Dream Team!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hai comments!