1/22/2013

HBM's Top 10 Weirdest Moments in Video Games

You know, I can be pretty strange sometimes (considering I have minor ADD, this isn't surprising) . But there are times when video games manage to actually make ME go "What the fuck did I just witness?!" And I'm going to detail the top 10 of those moments today!

Now, I'm going to have to slightly bend the rules here by including games I haven't played and have only seen videos of, but they're just SO DAMN WEIRD that they need to be on this list!
#10: Snarl of Memories (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)


I have no idea what to make of this scene. Apparently, it's all a dream Xion is having, but I don't really know. It starts with Roxas on Destiny Islands' beach, then he sees Xion on the little island and runs after her. Then she turns into Zexion, and KH1!Riku shows up and they start reciting their dialogue from before Riku's fight with Darkside in KHCoM, while circling around Roxas as he turns into Xion, then Sora, and finally Riku. Just... WHAT. I know Kingdom Hearts is weird, but... wow.

#9: The Scarecrow Sequences (Batman Arkham Asylum)


It's kind of hard to explain how this goes down. Basically, when you enter certain areas at certain times in the game, the screen starts to tilt slightly (but still noticeable), some strange whispering or some shit starts playing in the background, and Batman's eyes start to glow. However, it always gets more disturbing from there. I don't even know if I can describe it without taking up multiple paragraphs, but anytime you start to see those symptoms, some shit is going to go down. And don't even get me started on the third encounter!

#8: Another Day (The World Ends With You)


So, you know how some people make weird Alternate-Universe fanfics where characters act different from their canon counterparts? Yeah, Square took that idea and ran with it for Another Day. Neku loves everything?! Higashizawa is extremely flirty?! Konishi is Beat's teacher?! JOSHUA... well, he's just less subtle. And also, its story is basically like an anime where children's games ARE SRS BIZNESS!!1!1! Oh well. Tin Pin is fun, so Another Day is fun.

Oh, and there's some Bonus Boss shizz there.

#7: Distortion World (Pokemon Platinum)


This is the closest we're ever going to get to having Hell in a Pokemon game. Okay, so basically, this is Giratina's home world, and he's pretty much the Satan of Pokemon. Considering that, you can already expect this place to be weird. But it turns out that NOTHING MAKES SENSE. Platforms and stuff disappear and reappear randomly, gravity changes, you can surf up waterfalls, it's all just batshit insane! I still have a hard time believing that this is actually POKEMON!!!!

#6: Lanayru's Tale (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)


Twilight Princess is already one of the weirder games in the Zelda series, but this scene just decides "YOU EXPECTED A LOGICAL BACKSTORY? TOO BAD, MINDFUCK!!!!" The falling, pupil-less, laughing Ilias, the Dark Links scream, the strange look Link gets on his face. In the end even Link himself is so horrified he falls to his knees, sweating and panting. You know shit's fucked up when one of the main characters is as disturbed as you are!

#5: The &$#% Room in the Honeybee Inn (Final Fantasy VII)


I don't really know what to make of this scene. So, this is during the beginning of the game when you're doing the quest to get stuff for infiltrating Don Corneo's mansion. When inside the Honeybee Inn (the local brothel), you get a choice of the "Group Room" and the "&$#% Room." The Group Room is less disturbing (Just Cloud in a hot tub with a bunch of large men in speedos... o_o), but the &$#% Room... just wow. The music that plays ("Who... Are You?") is one of the creepiest songs in the game, the dimmer lighting makes the atmosphere disturbing, and the other Cloud is just... there. And then Cloud passes out and wakes up to Mukki slapping him awake. WHY DID THIS HAVE TO EXIST?!?! And trust me, while this scene may be disturbing, it's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this game...

#4: Chaos Vortex (Kid Icarus Uprising)


This place is just wrong. Everything is places where they shouldn't be, there are giant eyes and hands EVERYWHERE, the game just seems to be on drugs here! You fight Pit's shadows, colors invert, Pit turns black then back to normal when he flies through a hot-spring/waterfall... I just don't know. Thankfully, the ground section is far more normal.

#3: Out of this Dimension (Star Fox)


This is one of those rule-benders in that I haven't played the original Star Fox yet. However, I can certainly tell you that THIS IS NOT NATURAL. Apparently this world only appears when you fulfill certain conditions, and then... well, I don't even know. The background is like a bad trip, with strange planets and faces, and the boss is a FUCKING SLOT MACHINE. Just... what is happening?! Did I die and am now in purgatory?! Am I supposed to achieve a higher state of being from seeing this?! WHAT?! WHY?!

#2: AI Colonel's Corruption (Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty)


Okay, so once you get to Arsenal Gear in MGS2, while being naked the Colonel contacts you and says to "turn the game console off right now." The messages get more insane from there, ranging from previous game callbacks, to just plain randomness. The whole time, you see his face at different angles, and just as a skull, and his voice is obviously distorted. It's pretty creepy when combined with Arsenal's music, and I don't want to know what they were on at this point.

#1: Earthbound


Yeah, that's right, the whole game gets a spot on here. The whole experience is pretty much the most amazing trip ever, with the most horrifying ending ever. I don't even want to know why they would create something like the Final Boss. Of course, that's another list for another time...

Well, this was difficult. I nearly lost my sanity and I'm pretty sure I reached Nirvana a couple times. However, I've done it. I got this list out just like I set out to do. See you when Bleach Recaps start again. I'm just gonna procrastinate for my birthday coming up.

HBM, signing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hai comments!