4/24/2013

Looking Back On: Homestar Runner


Hello, everypeoples, and welcome to another entry in my Looking Back On series. This time, I'm going to do something not completely video game related, but it still shaped my childhood and molded me into who I am today in a huge way. I am talking, of course, about the greatest web cartoon ever: Homestar Runner.

For those of you who haven't heard of Homestar Runner, leave. You don't deserve to read a blog meant for those of us with souls. As I said before, Homestar Runner is the greatest web cartoon ever created. However, it didn't begin that way. Before I talk about my personal experience with Homestar, I feel I should give a history about the site's creation and describe the major characters.

Homestar started as a children's book named The Homestar Runner Enters the Strongest Man in the World Contest by college roommates Mike Chapman and Craig Zobel. Later, in 1999, as practice for learning to use Flash, Mike and his brother Matt made a short cartoon featuring the major Homestar characters. By 2000, the website had been all set up in it's first iteration, and would be updated to it's current form in 2003. The site a fairly decent start, but started to really gain major recognition with the first Strong Bad Email (a.k.a. sbemail). The site is funded by it's own merchandise, sold on the site store. The site's content began to trickle to a halt in late 2009, with the birth of another child in the Chapman family. Both brothers have been working on other projects, and the most recent update was a twitter post with a picture of the script for sbemail #207 with the description "Someday, when you least expect it..."

Homestar features a cast of diverse characters, many of which were originally introduced as one-off jokes. However, I'm only going to describe the main characters. Homestar Runner, the title character, is a complete dimwit who has only grown stupider as the years have passed. He has a large white head, a red star shirt, and no visible arms, similarly to many other characters on the site. Marzipan is Homestar's sometimes-girlfriend and an over-exaggerated hippie. Pom Pom is Homestar's best friend who only speaks in bubbles. Although he resembles a big yellow ball with orange ovals for limbs, he's seen as a cool tech-savvy ladies' man in-universe. Strong Bad is considered the true star of the website. He's a big jerk to everyone, and although he usually fails at his schemes, he thinks he's the best thing ever. He commands his pet/lackey, The Cheat (who only speaks in weird squeaky sounds), and his big brother Strong Mad (a huge block-like loudmouthed imbecile). There's also Strong Sad, SB's depressed hipster younger brother; Coach Z, the creepy coach with hygiene issues; Bubs, the greedy concession stand owner; The King of Town, who rules the land and can (and will) eat anything he can; and Homsar, a weird little guy who seems to speak his own language.

I learned about Homestar about 10 years ago. I was at my dad's friend's house, when his son put on one of the Strong Bad Email DVDs. I was entertained, asked what the website was, and spent the next few weeks watching all the cartoons on the site. I've spent all the time since then periodically checking the wiki for updates, watching any new toons, playing the games, and I've even bought some shirts, DVDs, and the CD from the store. Just recently I downloaded all 5 chapters of Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People (the official video game) onto my PS3.

I've been a huge, faithful fan to the Homestar series all these years, and it basically defined my childhood. I'm happy for the Brothers Chaps for now working on new projects and all that, but I'm hoping that they'll come back to their roots and not let their greatest accomplishment die. I will not just sit back and let Homestar Runner die! I WILL SUPPORT THIS SERIES TO THE VERY END!!!!

HBM, signing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hai comments!