6/11/2013

E3 2013: My Reactions

Well, another E3 is coming by. And by god, this one does not disappoint. I mean, if you're looking at the image to the left of this paragraph, you should know what the highlight of the event was for me already, and I bet you want to know all of what I have to say. Well, you'll have to read on to find out.

So, I'm just going to summarize what I thought of the stuff I actually gave a shit about that was actually shown and given online coverage. I'm going to update this as E3 goes along, so this post will take a few days to fully complete. Anyway, here goes.

Tekken Revolution (PS3): I've been wanting to get into the main Tekken series ever since Street Fighter X Tekken, but I was never able to, thanks to money and shit. This new, free-to-play installment, however, will be able to serve as a nice starting point for me. With only a small roster, but features that welcome newbies and veterans alike, this seems like it'll be a mixed bag. But it's a bag I'll gladly take. Released June 11th.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS3/PS4/XBox360/XBoxOne): I've been wanting some actual news on MGSV since it was announced, and E3 sure didn't disappoint. When David Hayter was discovered to not be reprising the role of Snake, many fans were distraught, but I trusted that they would get a satisfactory replacement. And wouldn't you know it, they got Kiefer Sutherland (a.k.a. Jack Bauer). We got a behind-the-scenes look at Sutherland's role and involvement, and it seems like he knows what he was doing here. When it comes to the trailer we got, we finally have some gameplay footage. There are all sorts of new ways to avoid detection, sneak around, and transport yourself. All in all, MGSV is gonna rule. Coming sometime within the next couple years.

inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4): Just from what we've been given, I don't have much to say. Delsin, the new protagonist, seems cool enough, and I'm fairly sure his brother's voiced by Travis Willingham. The fire powers, smoke, and chain seem like great substitutes for Cole's electricity and Amp, and just from what we've seen, I have faith this will be the biggest inFAMOUS game yet. Coming early 2014.

Final Fantasy XV (PS4): Previously known as Final Fantasy Versus XIII, it seems Square knew they wouldn't finish it within the PS3's lifetime, and decided to bring it to the PS4. I can't really find much to say about this game other than that. It looks pretty, but then, which Final Fantasy games don't? Coming sometime within the next couple years.

Kingdom Hearts III (PS4): This is basically the highlight of the year for me. It may just be a teaser trailer, but for God's sake, IT'S SOMETHING. After 8 years of waiting, we finally get a glimpse of KH3, and it is the most glorious thing I've ever seen. The graphics are stunning, the gameplay (from the glimpse we got) looks beautiful... this is just the greatest thing. Square, you have won back my faith. Coming God-knows-when.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3/XBox360/PC): There wasn't gameplay in the new trailer, but whatever, it's about time we got more news on this. Coming this holiday season.

Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3/XBox360/Wii U/PC): I've been waiting to see gameplay for this game since it was announced, and it doesn't disappoint. I think this may be the best looking Arkham game so far, and considering Arkham City, that's saying a lot. We finally see that Bane is one of the eight mercenaries, which I predicted when the plot was revealed, and we finally hear Batman and Joker's new voices. Roger Craig Smith as Batman is pretty good, but the deepness/roughness sounds forced, while Troy Baker as Joker sounds completely natural. Coming October 25th.

Pokemon X and Y (3DS): Not much was revealed here that we didn't already see, though there are two major additions. First is the new Fairy type, which is Super-Effective against Dragon types, and includes Pokemon such as Sylveon, Gardevoir, Jigglypuff, and Marill. Second is Pokemon-amie, which allows you to interact with your Pokemon and bond with them, similar to the Dream Eaters from Kingdom Hearts 3D. I still can't wait for this. Coming October 12th.

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U): This is pretty much the sequel to Super Mario 3D Land, except it looks a hell of a lot better and has co-op play. The cat power-up looks cute and fun, and I'm glad that the Yellow Toad got replaced with Peach. Coming this holiday season.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U): A new Mario Kart that combines the implementations of MKWii, MK7, and anti-gravity. It looks pretty interesting, though disorienting. Coming 2014.

Wii Party U (Wii U): It looks like Wii Party in HD with new games and graphics. I love Wii Party, so I'm getting it. Coming later this year.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (Wii U): While I believe the original Wind Waker still looks perfect today, I'm excited for this new version. It looks fresh and new, while still retaining a sense of familiarity, and they replaced the Tingle Tuner with something more people give a damn about: Miiverse. Coming October.

The Wonderful 101 (Wii U): So it turns out that this game is about a group of heroes who fight together against aliens. You can combine your heroes into various weapons using the Gamepad and purchase new weapons in the shop. You can also play co-operatively with up to 5 players. So yeah, I knew it was right to be hyped for this game! Coming September 15th.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U): Another re-imagining of the Donkey Kong Country series with 3d camera angles, swimming, and Dixie Kong as a playable character added. The new villains are arctic-themed animals who are apparently vikings. Pretty cool. Coming November.

X (Wii U): I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, but I have a good feeling about this game. The trailer gives me some serious Kingdom Hearts/Final Fantasy meets Legend of Zelda meets Transformers vibes, and that's a good thing. Coming 2014.

Super Smash Bros. U/3D (Wii U/3DS): This is basically the other highlight for E3 for me. Okay, first of all, it's a new Smash Bros. Second, it's in HD/3D. Third, MEGAMAN. Finally, it's coming next year. My body wasn't ready.

FEAST YOUR EYES UPON IT!
And that's what I was interested in this year. Compared to E3 2012, this year was so much bigger and better, and I think we all had something that made us cream our pants.* Here's to the rest of the games coming this year.

HBM, signing out.
---
*3 guesses of what mine are, and the first 2 don't count.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hai comments!