2/18/2014

HBM's Top Ten Mario Games

I like to talk about video games a lot, in case you couldn't tell. And there's not a more iconic video game character than Mario. Everyone, even people who don't play video games, have at least heard of him. And I'm counting down the Top Ten Mario games today.

The only restrictions are: It has to be a game in one of the Mario series (so no Smash Bros or anything like that) and it has to be an official Nintendo game (so no Kart Fighter). Oh, and my usual bullshit that you should know by now. OKAY, LET'S DO THIS THING!

#10: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)


People had mixed reactions to this game when it came out. And when I got my hands on it... eh. It's a good game, but it gets boring real quick, even with all the special worlds and Luigi and all that. I mean, it's still better than most, but... eh.

#9: Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)


I just got this game on the Virtual Console, and so far, it's pretty good. Well, good enough to get on this list, at least. This one seems to have started the trend of Mario RPGs being really silly, which is a plus. I don't really like the art style too much, but eh, I still like this game.

#8: Super Paper Mario (Wii)


Super Paper Mario is an RPG, but it's also a platformer. And I like both of those kinds of games. Also, you can change characters at any time to get by obstacles and shit. So that's neat.

#7: Mario Kart Series


The Mario Kart games are pretty fun. You can ride karts, use items to hit opponents, send them careening off the edge, making your way to first place while BRUTALLY MURDERING THE COMPETITION! AAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAH!!!

...Oh, and in the newer ones, you can play as your Miis. I like Miis.

#6: Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)


I think this one is pretty much mandatory for any Mario games list (unless it's something like "Worst Mario games, in which case, FUCK YOU). It took what the first game had and multiplied it by hundreds! There's so much secrets, powerups, and great levels and music to experience, and it's just all around fun.

#5: Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)


What can you say about Super Mario 3D World that hasn't been said by every major gaming website? It's really creative, has great music, and the multiplayer is really legit for once! YEAH!

#4: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)


Mario and Luigi is dang funny. It also has really great gameplay and bosses. I don't care if Bowser's  Inside Story is technically better, or Mario RPG is more "Classic," this is the Mario RPG that'll always stand out to me!

#3: Super Mario 64 (N64)


Again, what can you say about Mario 64? It's super amazing, really huge, and it's development helped create the design of the N64 controller. So, just... yeah.

#2: Super Mario World (SNES)


Super Mario World is one of the greatest classic games ever designed. It improved on what Mario 3 has, and considering how much that game improved, well... y'know. Again, there's a ton of secrets, awesome gameplay, this is just a game that can't be ignored.

#1: Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (Wii)


I really can't decide between these two. I mean, they're similar enough that one really could just lump them together. Mario Galaxy has some of the best controls on the Wii, and some of the most gorgeous music I've ever heard. There's so little wrong with these games, they're just masterpieces.

And that's my top ten Mario games. I'm gonna go do things now.

HBM, signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hai comments!