2/13/2014

Super Smash Bros. Newcomer: Little Mac Enters the Ring! (and other things)

YES! YES! ALL OF MY YES!
A while back, I did a list of the Top Ten (non 3rd-party) Newcomers I would like to see in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS, and at the number one spot, I put Little Mac from Punch-Out. And hey, would you take a look at who just got revealed in today's Nintendo Direct?

He fights almost exactly as I expected him to, just several times more badass. If the trailer is any indication, Doc Louis will do the talking for Mac from the sidelines, cheering him on, which I find to be a neat touch if it ends up being the case. He has what seems to be the 3-Star Punch as his Up-Special, and instead of collecting stars, he can charge a power meter which can knock enemies out in a single blow when it's fully charged. The power meter kinda resembles the "KO Meter" from the arcade games and Super Punch Out on the SNES, which is a nice touch. And, as expected, his Final Smash transforms him into Giga Mac from the Wii game's Head to Head mode. As one last tidbit, this trailer seems to have confirmed that the Boxing Ring-like arena may be the Punch-Out stage, just as we all expected.

As for the Nintendo Direct itself, there wasn't too much else that interested me. They showed off a Mii mode for the new Mario Golf game, which is cool. They've also officially announced that in the spring, they'll start bringing Game Boy Advance games to Virtual Console, including Metroid Fusion, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3. A sequel to NES Remix was announced, featuring even more NES madness, like Kid Icarus, Punch Out, and Mario 3, as well as Super Luigi Bros, basically Super Mario Bros backwards, with Luigi. Finally, the Koopalings were confirmed to be playable in Mario Kart 8, which is cool, seeing as it's their first playable appearance.

So, despite the shit-ton of snow hitting my hometown at the moment, Nintendo managed to make my day and get me somehow more hyped for the new Smash Bros. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some Punch-Out to play.

HBM, signing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hai comments!