1/13/2015

HBM's Top Ten Games of 2014

Hello, people. Sorry it's been a while since I posted. I haven't been too motivated to do this lately, especially considering all the games I've gotten in the past couple months. However, 2014 is over, and it was a great year for games, I'd say. So here's my top ten of the games from 2014!

Also, since I'm not including re-releases or remakes, I'm giving honorable mentions to Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMix, The Last of Us Remastered, Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, and The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. They're all excellent games, but all re-released/remade so... yeah...
#10: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle


CyberConnect2 is known for some really awesome games, like the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm series, and Asura's Wrath. Well, they decided to try a different anime this time, one of the most influential, long-running series ever, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. This game is basically a Street Fighter clone with JoJo characters, and a shitton of fanservice... and it's amazing. While it's a decent fighting game on it's own, it's really the fanservice that makes this game so great. An utter joy for any JoJo fans.

#9: South Park: The Stick of Truth


This game was supposed to come out in late 2012-early 2013, but ended up getting delay after delay. Did it live up to the hype? ...Not quite, but it got as close as it could otherwise. The humor, animation, script, etc. are all classic South Park, and it's a fairly good RPG in it's own right. Sure, it might be a bit too easy, on the short side, and almost devoid of sidequests, but this is one quest that I'll revisit any day.

#8: Far Cry 4


If you played Far Cry 3, you know what to expect from Far Cry 4. It's practically the same game, just bigger, some more guns and animals, some different sidequests, but it's pretty much another Far Cry 3. And that's perfectly fine with me.

#7: Infamous: Second Son


Infamous, despite it's fairly short history, has already cemented itself as one of Sony's flagship franchises, and Second Son just might be the best one yet. Yes, most of the story plays out the same in both Good and Evil playthroughs, but the gameplay is some of the best in the series, with no less than 4 different powersets to play around with, and the entirety of Seattle as your own personal playground. I don't know how the Infamous series could get any better than this!

#6: Shovel Knight


Shovel Knight was hyped up for a couple years as one of the next big indie games, and I'd say it really is. With amazing control, gameplay reminiscent of many classics, and awesome music, all while (for the most part) going by the limitations of the NES. Shovel Knight needs to be a series.

#5: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2


It's one thing for a game to get a good sequel. It's another thing entirely for a bad game to get a great sequel. Considering how frustrating the original Lords of Shadow is, it's sequel is a massive step up with more balanced gameplay, a Metroidvania-style world, engaging combat, difficult-yet-fair bosses (except the final one...). It's so rare that designers learn their mistakes from past games, but the Lords of Shadow team clearly did, and that led to an amazing game.

#4: Mario Kart 8


It's Mario Kart. The best one yet. That's really all that needs to be said. Also, the DLC (more of which is coming this May) is the greatest thing.

#3: Hyrule Warriors


When this game was announced, I was so pumped. I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game, but this game really makes me want to, with how fast-paced the action is. Plus, all the touches made specifically for the Zelda fandom are just beautiful. And the DLC is actually worth, with even more coming this year. It's definitely a must-have for Wii U owners.

#2: Bayonetta 2


Am I really the only one who thinks Bayonetta is actually hotter in this game? Anyway, Bayonetta 2 is an outstanding improvement over the original game. The combat and bosses are much more engaging, the presentation is amazing, and it's great to see that Nintendo didn't end up censoring anything. This is a game I would definitely revisit many times.

#1: Super Smash Bros for Wii U & 3DS


I'll admit it, I'm very biased toward Smash Bros. But what can I say? Smash 3DS/Wii U really are the best games in the series so far, and Smash is one of my favorite series of all time. Yes, the clones are annoying. Yes, the bosses aren't well executed. Yes, the 3DS version should have had more content. Yes, the lack of many characters I wanted is infuriating. But I can forgive all that, because in the end, Smash is amazing regardless of what flaws it has. Again, I know I'm biased, but I really don't care. Smash will always be Game of the Year to me every year it's released.

And that concludes my Top Ten Games of 2014. There's a Nintendo Direct in a couple days, and I'll cover that, then I'll do my Top Ten Games of 2015 I'm Most Excited For. See you then.

HBM, signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh hai comments!